Opioid Overdose Prevention: Understanding the Basics
The opioid crisis is galvanizing individuals across disciplines to reduce the number of lives lost to overdoses. This award-winning online course is designed to help practitioners understand and address this pressing public health problem. Through engaging activities, reflections, and videotaped interviews with prevention leaders, participants will explore the range of factors associated with opioid overdose and promising strategies to address it.
This course is the proud winner of a 2018 eHealthcare Leadership award, winning platinum in the categories of best healthcare content and best interaction.
Sign up by January 23 and receive an invitation to the virtual roundtable What Is a Comprehensive Approach to Opioid Overdose Prevention?, January 24, 2-3 pm EST. Join Prevention Solutions@EDC staff and local prevention leaders in a discussion of the benefits of a comprehensive approach to opioid overdose prevention and key steps for getting started. Space is limited so register now!
Audience: Prevention practitioners and others working to prevent opioid overdose and overdose death
Course Length: 5 hours
Certification: Endorsed by the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC). On passing the assessment at the end of this course, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion for five hours of participation.
Length of Access: Registered participants will have access to course materials for 30 days from date of purchase.
- Describe the scope of the opioid overdose crisis in the U.S and the role of prevention in addressing it
- Describe factors associated with opioid overdose
- Describe strategies that have shown promise in reducing opioid misuse and/or overdose
- Describe strategies that have shown promise in preventing overdose death and disability
- Describe the characteristics of a comprehensive prevention approach and the benefits of adopting one
- Module 1: Overview of the Problem and the Role of Prevention
- Module 2: Factors Associated with Opioid Overdose
- Module 3: Strategies to Reduce Opioid Overdose Risk
- Module 4: Strategies to Prevent Overdose Death and Disability
- Module 5: The Value of a Comprehensive Approach